My two hours after he leaves for school is just enough to get lunch made for Kendal and I (he works from home), clean up the lunch mess, change laundry, maybe fold a towel or two, and take a 20 minute nap with one eye open because Josh is going to burst through the door any minute, famished, and ready for an after school snack. From there my afternoon speeds out of control as I welcome Spencer home 15 minutes after Josh, pick up Jonah from school 15 minutes after Spencer gets home, and get Emmett of the bus 30 minutes after I get back from picking up Jonah. I take care of Emmett's needs, start making dinner (all the while, it seems, shooing hungry boys out), eat dinner, clean up dinner, feed Emmett dinner, nurse the chronic headache I get each afternoon/evening, and spend the rest of the evening wondering why the house looks like a train wreck (and hoping that my boys really don't have any homework).
It's all in the name of education. But it's my contention that kids and moms can learn just as much during the summer. Here's what we learned this summer...
Lesson on Cute: Emmett gives fun rides on his wheelchair. Fallon is the happy recipient here.
Lesson on Babies: Sister-in-laws who have babies as sweet as this boy(Masen)had better doublecheck their carseat before they head back to Arizona. I was this close to snatching him.
Lessons on Sisters: Kimi makes feet happy (aren't our toenails darling?--well, as darling as toenails get). Also, for those (Mom and Marianne) who don't have ESP, they may need a memo next time, giving them a heads up as to the shirt-color-of-the-day.
Lesson on Cousins: Don't underestimate the athleticism of your neices/cousins. If you do they might beat your rear in soccer like Emilee did.
Lesson on Scout Camp: Listen to your leaders. Disregard any yelling, swearing, and threats of drowning you in the lake by leaders from other wards, who may or may not be mentally stable.
Lesson on Scout Camp: Listen to your leaders. Disregard any yelling, swearing, and threats of drowning you in the lake by leaders from other wards, who may or may not be mentally stable.
Lesson on Aging: Don't get old. Leave that up to everyone else in your graduating class.
Lesson on Best Friends: Be sure to marry someone in your best friends' husbands' graduating class so that you have someone to reminisce with at the reunions.
Lesson on 14 year old boys: Don't despair. There is hope. (Spencer went to Especially For Youth with five of his great cousins and came home a different boy...like he matured overnight or somethin').
Lesson on Wasps: They're so naughty, but your first sting can be soothed by applying an ice pack and a baking soda paste, and being propped up in Mom and Dad's bed and treated really special.
Lesson on Birthday Boys with Disabilities: They're still boys and they still love fire. (We always have to light the candles a few times and blow them out for Emmett's birhtday. He tried really hard to blow them out himself. It was super cute.)
Lesson on Horses: No matter how long it's been since Emmett was on one, he will love them with a passion. (He got to go for a looong horseback ride and a hay wagon ride at GiddyUp Go's fund raiser last week. The horses were trotting behind us, following the hay wagon, as we rode through the field. Emmett was so excited I couldn't get him to BEND! Stiff as a board.)
Lesson on Husbands and Moms: There are no greater people in the world.

7 comments:
Don't worry, Elmet. We all have days when we don't want to look at the freakin' stupid dog.
See ya Friday! Yippee!
And you said you didn't do anything all summer. Sounds like I need to hear about the doctor appointments, wanna go to lunch.
Looks like you had one busy summer and one busy school year coming up! Holy smokes!
I would have probably done better in Math if my textbook had been this entertaining :) You make me excited to have boys someday. You're so cute with yours! And they're so darn funny!
I LOVED this post Sharlee! And man, that sister-in-law of yours with the baby is one hot mama! Haha, J/K. :) Thanks for the update on your lives. I miss you guys so much. Love ya!
How dare you call your blog a boring math book! I loved that post. I've been missing your funny insights and reading about your cute and funny family. If that was a boring math book than I want more boring math book!
Sharlee what a summer! I have to go back and read every post that I have missed! I am so behind on all of the things I WANT to do! I am "caught" up on everything I DON'T want to do! I forgot to post that I am due in like 59 days! Right in the middle of Christmas craziness! Guess what We are going to name Him Spencer I think! Hope he turns out klike your Spencer! Love you Shar! Oh- I have to thank you and Kimmi again for that amazing cookbook! I have made a bunch of your recipes! I loved the Autumn soup! Making your yummy food makes you seem a little closer!
Post a Comment