Monday, June 2, 2008

The Saddest Birthday Cake Ever

I baked Spencer's birthday cake the day before his birthday and put it up on top of the fridge, giving Jonah strict instructions that he wasn't to touch it.  Meanwhile, Spencer got home from his last day of school and so we sat out on the porch and looked at his yearbook.  After several minutes it suddenly occurred to me that it was awfully quiet and where the heck was Jonah?  In an instant I knew exactly where he was.  We opened the door and sure enough, he was on a stool up to the fridge, hands high above his head, digging, then stuffing his mouth.  There were crumbs all over the floor under him and his excuse was that he was hungry.  Well, I would have felt worse about it had Spencer not had a slightly amused look on his face.  He didn't seem to care too much about his cake so I, being the lazy mom I am, didn't bake another one.  We used it despite the missing half.   I thought Jonah's birthday cake was the ugliest ever, but this one wins 1st place in my ugly birthday cake hall of fame.  Spencer was a good sport.



8 comments:

Mattie Rae said...

I am laughing so hard! How funny!

Mattie Rae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rindee said...

That is the funniest story ever! And Kudos to Spencer for taking it in stride. A mark of maturity. Isn't that just what oldest kids do? They're just used to it and love their little brothers and sisters so much that they don't take offence at their little-ness.

Nettie said...

What a little rascal! That is so funny. What did you do? I would have been so mad if it was my kid, but it's a lot easier to laugh about it when it's someone else's kid. :) Nice of Spencer to not be mad about it. What a nice big brother. The cake looks good, what's left of it anyway. :)

Sharlee said...

Nettie,
Oh, it WAS good and there wasn't a thing to worry about, seeing as how there was enough for me to have 3 pieces! So, it all worked out just fine.

Rindee,
Unfortunately this was one of the rare occasions that Spencer didn't take offence at Jonah's" little-ness", but, yes, it made the situation so much easier to deal with.

Andrea said...

That is pretty funny, but only because it's not my kids. I would have been pretty irate. Way to seize the moment and get some photos! I always feel bad for Saylor, cause she gets gypped like that all the time. Just the other day Samera got a hold of one of her toys and broke it, and I just said (being the amazingly sensitive and kind mother that I am), "Well, that's what happens when you have little sisters." Poor girl.

Andrea said...

Oooh, I just had an inspiration: Half a cake = half the frosting, which means you can make german chocolate cake ice cream (it was german chocolate frosting, right?)with the left-over frosting! Just make chocolate ice cream (or buy it and soften and mix in the goodies) and add chopped up brownies. The last few minutes of mixing add some big dollops of frosting, and voila! Yum! It's one of our favorites. See how I'm a professional at taking lemons (or cake) and making lemonade (or ice cream)? It's a gift.

Marianne said...

That is so funny! That story "takes the cake!" Sorry for the cheesy pun.