Emmett switched schools right before Christmas and the change was like night and day. We feel like there is just not a better place for Emmett. He was meant to be there (he WAS there before but we had to move him after a fiasco with a new teacher--long story). His third grade teacher sent notes home with her students announcing that there would be a special new boy in their class and expressed her excitement about it. I think that's what got the kids excited and they had no problem accepting Emmett, in fact, they fought over who got to push his chair or who got to help him with different things. By the end of the school year 3rd graders would come down to the Special Ed class to see if they could take him out to recess with them. They would wheel him out and put him in the middle of their basketball games or adapt jump rope games so that he could roll under the rope. His Special Ed teacher, Heather, is the best! It seems that there is nothing too inconvenient--if it motivates toward success, then she finds a way. I have never seen such dedication and willingness to go the extra mile and help these kids experience the things that they are dying to experience. And because she is such a great leader, her aids follow suit. The principal had a special bond with Emmett as well. Here he is playing a crash game with Emmett with his wheelchair to help motivate him to walk.

One day the teachers noticed a tractor out in front of the school so they wheeled Emmett out to watch. One thing led to another and the tractor operator asked if Emmett would like to sit in the tractor. They said that he was so sweet with Emmett and he told them that if they ever saw him out there to bring Emmett out and he would put him in the tractor. (Never mind that the aid who took Emmett out there is a USU cheerleader and just about the most beautiful creature you ever saw!)

I don't even know his name but he is one of the many angels in Emmett's life!

This (on the left) is Heather. One of her aids, on the right (Amy), owns a farm and so they had a field trip there. Emmett got to try his hand at being a cowboy. This summer he is going to do hippotherapy (physical therapy using horseback riding) at Amy's farm. Her family runs a program for kids with disabilities each summer. The motion of horseback riding simulates that of walking and strengthens the same muscles as walking would. It's really interesting and I'm excited to see how Emmett does.

This funny farm cat wanted to ride around on Emmett's feet all day. Emmett loved it of course.

Anyone who has the strength to take Emmett up into one of these things has my full admiration! I couldn't do it! That's what I'm talking about...anything is possible at Emmett's school!



4 comments:
That is one of the most inspiring things I've ever read! I didn't know they bred teachers like that anymore. I have a hard time having faith in people, or thinking that anyone is out to do any good (or at least for the right reasons). I'm so glad Emmett has that in his life! It kind of warms my heart a degree or two to think that there are people out there who CARE about other people - genuinely. I love Emmett's picture, too. Hey, how about you give us one? I wish everyone in our family would exchange pictures (when they get them), because my kids would LOVE to have pictures of their cousins plastered all over our refrigerator, AND it would help them remember their names - then maybe they wouldn't act so creepy when we all get together. Why don't we do that? Other families do that I think.
That brought tears to my eyes. Emmett really is surrounded by angels! (His mother is one of them, I might add) What a blessing for you to know he was so well cared for each day. It's so wonderful to know there are such good people out there in the world.
Awesome, Sharlee.
That is the most handsome school photo ever! I love it! (I like Drea's idea about sharing school pix. I'd love to have one of those!) He's SO sweet! What a blessing to live where you have such dreamy people to work with and care for Emmett! I loved your end-of-the-year show of appreciation. I bet they really enjoyed it as well!
Post a Comment