April Fools came and went today without incident--well unless you count the cruel joke mother nature played on us with the silly snow storm we woke up to this morning. My proud moment of the day had nothing to do with April Fools. It came whilst whipping up dinner in my new Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker and thinking "I just cooked dinner for a family of six for under $1.00". Try and beat that Taste of Home or Home and Garden. I've seen your magazines boast "Feed your whole family (of four) for only $20!" Are my eyes suppose to pop out when I read that? I don't know about you but I have to feed my family dinner every night and if $20 was the best I could do, well, let's just say my kids would starve for half of the month. I can't spend $20 a day on feeding my family. It's the reality of frugality. What? You say you can feed a family of four for $10? Not good enough.
I want to see recipes that will feed my family for $3.00 or less... anyone? anyone?
Well here's one. We had our beans (minus the bacon) over rice (which I also cooked in the p.c.) instead of with cornbread, but we had cornbread last week. Mmm. So simple, so delicious, and so easy. Recipe thanks to Pioneer Woman.


7 comments:
Hey, nice to see you're alive, I guess I could call but I'm just too lazy. You're so funny. I love Taste of Home and Pioneer Woman. When are we going to go out?
Rice and beans is one of my favorite meals in these cold winterish months. Mine isn't quite THAT inexpensive, since I add ham hocks, but it's still a cheap thrill...I mean meal. And it feeds us for, like, two weeks.
Maybe that should be your newest get-rich scheme: write a cookbook on how to feed a family (of more than 3) for $1/day! Do it.
I love Pioneer Woman! Some of my best meals have come from her recipes. I love being able to brag that I made dinner for my family for under $5. It's a nice feeling to be able to save money and not resort to ramen noodles for every meal.
Shut up! Wes doesn't like it when I say that but I just have to. I say it lovingly but really, one dollar!?! That's insane. Now the real question is how much is one of those nifty pressure cookers and did you pro-rate that into you cost?
BTW, you have my old URL linked up to my name in your blogroll. (-:
You are awesomeeeeeeee! Do you kids eat well? I can already hear all the whining from my family. But honestly, they don't eat well, not a one of em!
I always hear about this pioneer woman but I always forget to check her out. I need to look her up because I'm always looking for cheap easy meal ideas. Thanks for reminding me.
Mmmmm. . .I want to eat at your house!
Post a Comment