Do you ever wonder who your kids really are? Jonah was born at such a stressful time in our lives and it has been stressful ever since. He knows a different mother (or atleast doesn't get the same attention from his mother) than my other three did when they were his age. Spencer could write his numbers to 100 by the time he turned 5. (Jonah's 5th birthday is in February and I don't think he recognizes his numbers to 10 --see? I don't even know). Spencer could read by now. (Jonah is lucky if someone reads him a book once a week.) When Spencer started school I had preschool with Josh an hour a day. (No such thing!)
Obviously my standards for my kids have changed (out of necessity) a bit since my mothering journey began. I lay awake at night sometimes wondering if I am being the mom he deserves.
One thing's for sure: We're glad he's here. He has such a cute personality and it's fun to watch him learn (albeit slow-er than it could be) and grow. We think he's a pretty funny kid. Here's a little peek into Jonah's world:
the things he thinks of:
The poor boy won't let me dress him. I bought him 3 pair of new pants the other day and he didn't want anything to do with them. He was mad that all of his shorts were in the laundry but finally settled on this grievous outfit. So, even if I try to keep him from looking like an orphan, he finds a way around it.
He is becoming quite the little artist of late. Here is a knight fighting a dragon. I love the little details.
... and a pirate ship...notice the eye patch
Jonah's Quips:

At our favorite Chinese restaurant one day, we were waiting to be seated and Jonah said (not so quietly) "Look at that stupid Shrek!" I couldn't imagine what he could be talking about... until I saw the statue of Buddha on the counter. Kendal and I couldn't stop laughing about it. I'm sure the Buddhists wouldn't think it was very funny but the manager behind the counter did.

There have been some commercials on t.v. with this comic book character named "The Thing". He's made out of rock. But that's not how Jonah see's it. To him, he's "The Cheese Hulk".
On a trip into town recently Jonah got excited seeing all of the Halloween decorations and said something about all of the "goblins, and zombies, and 'Franklinsteims' and 'mommies".
It's so funny to hear his views on the world. Every time we drive to Logan he says something like "Did you know that Jesus loves us so much?" And then we have a discussion about Jesus and his love. He doesn't know his ABC's but he knows that Jesus loves him. What could be more important than that?!

8 comments:
Obviously you're teaching him the things that are truely important-Jesus loves him. That kind of stuff is way more important for you to teach him. He'll learn his ABC soon enough.
When we going to see your sister's cabinents?
I look up to you so much. When I think about how I want to raise my kids, you are the first good example I think of. You are a wonderful blessing for the Bates family.
I love seeing these close up pics of your kids! Jonah is SO handsome! They all are! Ok, so I think Jonah and Toby are going to be the best of friends when they finally meet, Toby has swords and sticks coming out his pockets and sleeves and neck all the time! :) And the drawings are all to familiar! Jonah is quite the artist ya know :) I know exactly what you mean about the time spent the first compared to the last. I have to make a huge effort to read to my little ones for 5 minutes every other day, whereas Kyle read with me whenever he wanted to. I about died during our Sacrament Meeting Presentation when I realized that my sweet little 3 year old girl can't hold still for the life of her! I didn't even know she was ADD :) My thought was.... I'm not spending any time with her where she just sits and listens, or learns. But honestly, she knows I love her, just like Jonah knows you love him! We can't have the ideal time and energy that we once had and we just have to make do. They'll have their area of strengths even without all the attention we wish we could give them (right?) :) I think so :) And even though it may not be your ideal, you're teaching him and loving him and no doubt an absolutely wonderful mom!!! holy novel, sorry ;)
I wasn't fishing for reenforcement and all those compliments, guys. It is nice to have support, but really it was therapeutic to write about Jonah and take time to think about him and who he is and how he fits into our family. Sometimes I see him as kind of a stumbling block--I'm always tripping over him to get to my next task. It was nice to focus on him for a minute and it has changed my feelings for him today.
Yes, when I lock my kids out of my bedroom so I can blog about them, it always makes me feel much more kindly toward them. Just kidding, Shar...I know what you meant. I LOVE that first picture of Jonah, and the last ones made me laugh because he is getting so big (5 - really?!), and I still think of him like he is in that first picture.
That is so sweet! Jonah is such a cute boy! You're doing a wonderful job- you're teaching him the stuff that matters most. You're amazing!
Even as I'm typing this, my 4th boy is talking to me about the trip he wants to make to town (and all of the fabulous things that he's going to buy with the $3 in his wallet), while I'm trying to tune him out. It's been like that all day long - the more that I try to ignore them, the more they bug me! Sheesh! It's like I'm their mom or something...
Seriously, Sharlee, I think you're such a good mother, and he's a good little kid (I love the "stupid Shrek" comment!). Don't sweat the small stuff!!
I'd like to meet this Jonah of which you speak and photograph. He sounds absolutely charming!
Post a Comment