Meat & Potatoes:
I try not to cook heavy meals (M&P's) very often. In fact meat is becoming less and less appetizing to me as I become more and more aware of it's effects on my health & how it makes me feel in general. Nevertheless, when my sister, Kimi, so generously gave of her overstocked freezer meat recently, I willingly obliged.
So tonight I tried a new recipe: chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and white gravy, green beans on the side. It took a lot longer than I had expected so everyone was pretty hungry by the time I got it all on the table. As I was dishing up plates I glanced over at Kendal to see him looking satisfyingly down at his plate. Then, a speech began: "Boys...can you tell that your Mom loves you? I can, because she made this feast on a Wednesday night--just a regular old Wednesday. Isn't she a great mom?"
You know, it's not very often that my cooking solicits such a reaction. It brought new meaning to the phrase "comfort food". You know your momma loves you when she fixes something that everyone thinks is delicious, that takes more than five minutes to make, and that leaves the kitchen strewn with dirty dishes and pans of every size (acutually, nobody noticed the dishes or the grease-splattered stovetop).
But when a guy is a meat and potatoes guy, he's always a meat and potatoes guy even if his wife changes his diet without consent. Now I know how to garner some appreciation and maybe even a speech any 'ol Wednesday (in the event that I am feeling unappreciated), but most importantly I learned another way to make my man feel appreciated and loved.

4 comments:
So true, so true. Why is it though that "comfort" food has to eventually clog our arteries, so that when we try to do something nice for those we love best it is, in fact, killing them? I think it is an interesting paradox. Even I love a good meat and potatoes night, just because it makes me feel so domestic and comforted. And I love our family prayers the night after such a feat of food-preparation, because I always get a hearty, "We're thankful for a Mama who is such a great cook..." Makes me feel I've done something right.
I have an interesting dilemma. I have a few die-hard M&P guys, but I also have a few true-blue vegetarians. Very rarely do I make EVERYONE happy! Glad you stumbled upon the formula that works at your house!!
Well, it's not going to work all the time cuz I'M not a meat and potatoes girl and I really would rather my boys not be so much that way either, so...it works for a treat every now and again. If we did it every night they wouldn't appreciate it so much, would they? There wouldn't be any speeches.
mmmm. mmmmm. sounds so good. what a woman!
Post a Comment