Dad helped with the heavy stuff like tables and the camp chef stove. He provided cookies, and took some pictures for me.
Here's Amy cleaning up kids' lunch stuff.
Aren't they perdy and delicious looking?
Why do we thrive on making eachother laugh? Ahh, it's good for the soul, to spend the afternoon giggling with your sisters.
Mom, one ambitious and beautiful lady.
Cousins: Noah, Tyler, Jonah, Tayson, and Benson
Marianne and cute Claira (Marianne is wearing her latest creation: a WAY cute apron)
Canning Queens: Kimi, Darla, Marianne, Sharise, Amy, and Mom
Just trying to look busy so Mom won't woop my rear
Aren't they just peachy? Beautiful!
157 quarts (minus the three we lost in tragic accidents)
Today some of my sisters and sister-in-laws gathered at my Mom's for a peach can-a-thon, sponsored by my wonderful mother, who makes sure, every year, that whoever wants to can peaches has that opportunity. It has become a tradition of sorts. Even the sisters who didn't need peaches came to help anyway, just for the sticky, juicy, fun of it all. And it was fun. Mom outworked us all, by far. We chatted, laughed, and learned about such things as food storage, preschool, politics, diets, p.m.s., strangers who put their nose in your business in public, rude people, and just plain weird people (like the lady who stood up and gave the benediction in Sacrament meeting in Marianne's ward, mind you, she wasn't asked to, and said "Heavenly Father, Please forgive us for our loud laughter and for our use of the word Gosh....Amen" That was it! Then the real prayer was given. I don't think anyone knew who the lady was, at least Marianne had never seen her before and it looked like most everyone else was just as shocked and confused as she was.)
Overall, it was a productive day. We missed Robin and Andrea. Maybe next year!

11 comments:
Oh, Man! What a beautiful sight! Not just the many fruits of your labors, but womanly bonding, the passing on of skills that are being lost, self-reliance, cousin time, and LOVE. That's what I think about when I think of family canning days. My mom has 2 peach trees that are just about ready. This will be the Wilhelmsen sisters awfully soon. Thank you Aunt Annette for creating such a wonderful experience!
A peach party, now why didn't I get invited? Sounds and looks like you had a fabulous time! Working together makes it so much fun and really no chore at all! I wish I could get some canning done. You're such a good girl!
Believe me, Shan'l, if it was all left up to me, I wouldn't get any canning done. My mom must sense that. It was a LOT of work, but you're right, it is so much more fun with a group of people. I loved seeing Rindee's corn harvest pictures. That brought back a lot of memories.
Well, I never would have known what I missed if you hadn't gone and blabbed it all over your blog like that. Just kidding. It made me feel like I got to participate in some small way. I got a half bushel of peaches last night, so I'm off to the store for a gallon of cream - for I don't know how to can by myself.
That looks way funner than doing it all alone. I'm jealous of your great sisterly relationships. Now when are we going to do something fun?
Oh, the timing of seeing this post in all its glory is helping me get motivated to get on the measly bushel of peaches sitting in my kitchen. Though your day looks much more glamorous than I know mine will be. Ah well. Listening to myself whine doesn't get the job done!!
Thanks for the fun and motivational post!
Oh it makes my smile to see you sister get together and I so long to be able to experience it with you. I think you guys are the most happy, giggly group of sisters I have ever met and I love it!
Mattie, you should see my Mom and HER sisters when they get together.
I am SO jealous! Home canned peaches are one of my favorite things to eat. I've never learned how to can...and it would probably cost too much to buy the peaches here to do it anyway. That looked like so much fun. Enjoy your yummy bottled peaches!!
Can I join your family?! That is amazing. The picture of all those pictures should be in a magazine! You guys are so cute!
Ok I am tired tonight! I meant to type in peaches instead of pictures,so ignore my last comment!YOU are my inspiration!
Post a Comment