Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Dad

  I know everyone thinks their dad is the best, and  I'm no different.  
My earliest memories of my dad are of him making me and my siblings laugh.  He is one of the funniest men I've known and he still makes me laugh.  He loved to tickle and tease us kids.   He had a way of making each of us feel special (I think that is quite a feat, what with eight kids).  I remember one summer when he was at school in Reno, he sent me a special letter just for me.  I still have it because it reminds me of how much my dad loves me and the potential he saw in me then.  
He was always encouraging.  He always had time to listen and council his children, and still does.  And he took time to play with his kids, too.  I remember a silly game we used to play when we were teenagers (Kimi & I) where we would gang up on Dad and try to push him onto his waterbed and he would try to throw both of us on the bed.  (He always won.)  
 I always thought he was so handsome, smart, and strong (maybe that's because it was drilled into us, from infancy, in those bedtime "fairy tales" about a prince named Mark...).  
He is such a scriptorian and taught me how to live and enjoy the gospel.  He loves the Lord and lives his life accordingly.  He is a hard worker.  He's ambitious.  He loves the little things.   He taught me to love poetry.  He is able to be silly but is  a deeply spiritual person as well.  Those are some of the things I love about my dad!
I love you Dad!  Happy Father's Day!

Here is a poem he wrote when I was about 12 that I put in my scrapbook way back when.  I ran across it tonight when I was looking through stuff.  Remember this one, Dad?


The Kiss
by Mark Orton

I dreamed a shark came swimming by 
my bed the other night
And saw my sister slumbering
and reached and took a bight
 
Alarmed, I grabbed my pillow
and I beat that shark to death
Though it wasted all my energy
and exhausted all my breath

Happy then, I rested
knowing I had saved my sister
Next morn' I learned the shark was Dad
and had only bent to kiss her!


Here is another little favorite of my Dad's poetry:


Who Knows?
by Mark Orton

If an lowly worm
is the ugly germ
of a lovely butterfly,

Just what and who
might God make of you
in some future by and by?!


These are just about the only pictures I have of  Dad, besides family photos, but they are fun.

Silly Pa (I guess I had enough hair for two back then)

Showin' his guns...just to scare us, I'm sure.

8 comments:

Mattie Rae said...

I love your dad too!

Andrea said...

Hey, that's MY dad! Dang it, you beat me to it. I wish I had some pictures of dad. Where'd you get those? I'm sure you've realized by now, but aren't you always re-amazed at how lucky we are to have him as our dad? The more I learn of the world the more thankful I am. Thanks for your tribute - it's much better than mine would have been.

Rindee said...

I sure love your dad, too. He is one of my favorite people in the world. Those are great pics and poems. I haven't seen those before!

Debbie and Boys said...

I Sharlee, I found your blog through Andrea's friend, and saw mention of a tribute to your dad. So here I am. Anyways, your family moved when I was still young, but he was very much loved in our small town, and we all felt our loss when your family moved away. He was the first Bishop I truly enjoyed. He was most funny at girls camp. Good Memories!

Debbie and Boys said...

P.S. I seriously believe I've seen that picture of you and your dad before. . . who knows how or when, maybe with Peggy.

Marianne said...

He sure is a great guy! I'm glad I can call him Dad too. I love those pictures of him! And those stories are so cute.

Nettie said...

That is such a cute tribute to your dad Sharlee. You're a lucky girl to have such a great dad. He seems like a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

You do have an awesome dad, Sharlee! I remember as a little (and not so little) girl, going to reunions and being completely mesmerized by the stories he'd tell - not realizing that he was taking certain liberties for his captive audience. What a gift!! I also remember my mom "clarifying" the stories as we went home, and realizing that the joke was on me!!