Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Highlights from the Month of May

May is always a pretty happenin' month around here, what, with our Anniversary, Mother's Day and my birthday all within 6 days of eachother, with the end of the school year fast approaching, and all the activities that go along with that.  So far it has been so much fun and I just wanted to share some highlights.  Excuse the longevity of it all:

On Saturday my cousin Sharalen (far right) and I traveled to my cousin Shan'l's (center orange shirt) for a girl cousin party.  It was such a blast!  Shan'l lives in my dream house in a most beautiful little corner of the state.  Her sisters and Mom were all there and some of Sharalen's sisters and her Mom were there.  I was the only misfit.  We have over 40 girl first cousins on that side!  We missed the ones who couldn't make it!   We had a great dinner, opened white elephant gifts, ate ice cream and cookies, talked until the crack of dawn and then slept like queens in our very own beds and rooms.  Thanks, Shan'l and Mattie Rae, for planning such a fun time!  And thank you, Kendal, for letting me sneak away for a night.  It was the perfect Mother's day treat.  My aunts and cousins are all such good examples of mothers that I couldn't help but come home determined to be a better mama.



Yesterday Kimi and Andrea got babysitters and came to town to take me and our Mom out for my birthday and Mother's day.  It was so much fun!  They are such thoughtful sisters.  If it wasn't for them it would have been a pretty sad birthday indeed, although I had some friends stop by and some fun phone calls and some cards in the mail.  Thanks girls!  I didn't even mind when my kids asked if I was going to make a birthday cake (that night at about 7:00).  It didn't shake me a bit cuz someone had already shown the love!  I did make a cake today (I don't mind when it's not my birthday).  (Sorry about the squinty eye picture ladies.  It was the best out of the bunch, 'sides, we all know how beautiful you really are).


Behold....the new kitchen window.  We actually have a view now!  I've never been able to see out of our foggy, moldy kitchen window and so I am overjoyed to have a clear view!  Now I can actually see where my kids are outside.  We got all new windows today (my dream come true) and it almost feels like we all got new glasses or something.  Everything looks greener, the sky looks bluer and I noticed today that we have a view of the mountains out the front windows...who knew?  

Jonah

Jonah does some pretty goofy things just out of the blue sometimes.  The other day he created these make-shift feet (complete with socks).  We all had a good laugh about it.


Jonah is in a temporary preschool at the high school child development lab.  The other day they made "spaghetti".  Mmmmm.  Looks delish, eh?

Emmett
At school Emmett has a walker that he has been using.  Recently his teachers discovered that taking him outside was a good motivator for him to walk.  What's more, they discovered that if there was  a reward at the end of the walk, say, for example, being able to get in the bus driver's seat and honk her horn a few times, that he was even more willing to walk!  Then, today they decided to try something even more.  They took his shoes & dafos and socks off  to see how he would do and he took off and walked from the bathroom in the classroom, out the back door, down the long sidewalk and to the bus in 30 minutes, with no prodding or prompting like they usually have to (I'm sure they helped him steer himself )!  But when he was all done they realized that he drags the top of his feet along the ground and he had  bloody toes, thus the purple band-aids.  Youch!  But he didn't whimper or complain once.  He is such a good boy.  And we are so blessed to have the best bus driver and aid in the world and the best teachers in the valley.  They are all so wonderful, I don't know what we would do without them.  They all go the extra mile for Emmett.  What more could we ask for?

Josh
Josh has been training for "The Wellsville Mile" for months now.   Today was the big day but, unfortunately, he caught a bug yesterday and had a slight fever & sinus stuff today so wasn't feeling his best.  But I was proud of him for running anyway.  He ran the mile in 7 min. 51 seconds.  His fastest time was 7 m. 40 s. and he was hoping to beat that today.  I couldn't have run it in twice that time, so I think he did GREAT!

Josh earned some money recently and wanted to buy his own pet.  He chose three goldfish along with a housing unit for them.  As you can see there is only one left.  What he really wants now (three weeks later) is a fiddler crab, so he's hoping that the fish won't live for 21 years like his friend's Mom's goldfish did.


Josh loves to create things.  He made this tinfoil man reading the newspaper and tinfoil boy walking his dog:



Spencer


A couple years ago we started paying our boys for digging the life out of the dandelions that plague our landscape.  It is a job that takes some "umph" and some time and so we paid them per dandelion. No one was ever very excited about it so we never had to worry about them picking us into the poor  house...that is until this year.   Spencer needed to earn $$ for Scout Camp and so he went out a couple of days in a row and ended up digging up a couple of mountains worth of dandelions (one such mountain is featured in the photo above).  We had to  give him the "bulk rate" so we could still feed our family this month.  

8 comments:

Marianne said...

What fun! I so enjoyed reading about your cute family. I can't believe Jonah came up with those make-shift feet all by himself! What a little goof ball! And Josh did great running- and even when he was sick! Is he going to be a runner? I love his little creations too. Do you want to send Spencer our way to do some of our yard work for us? Of course, he might deplete our bank account since he's such a hard worker. That's great about Emmett- except for his toe :( How fun that he gets to sit in the bus driver's seat and honk the horn! It sounds like they take good care of him at school. That must make you feel pretty good. I'm glad you got to do some fun things too. Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I'm late. I know I've been in the family for 5 years already and should know these things by now, but I'm horrible with birthdays. I have a hard time remembering my own. Thanks for sharing your fun family news!

Desiree said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Even though it's late, lets go out to dinner to celebrate. Sounds like you've been busy having fun.

Rindee said...

I like your dandelion story.
Last week my mom told Rayna that she would pay her $.05 for every peach pit she could pick up in the garden. So, armed with an ice cream bucket, Rayna went to work. When Rayna was done, she counted out her peach pits, putting them in piles of 20 so it was easy to see how many dollars she had earned. My mom's eyes about popped out when she counted those piles. Rayna had earned $20! $.05 a piece didn't sound like much, but it sure added up quickly. My mom honored her agreement and paid her, but I think she'll have to adjust the rate next time she hires her grandkids to pick up peach pits.

Andrea said...

Sharlee, your life sounds so fun-filled and exciting! Your kids are all so creative and funny. I didn't know Josh liked to run. That's cool. I wish I could somehow enjoy it. It's such a great way to get some exercise. Fortunately for me I only have to run a few steps before I'm out of breath and jiggling so much that it's as if I were still running 20 minutes later. It really saves time, cause I get a 30 minute workout from only 5 minutes of exertion. It was so fun to see you the other day - we need to do that more often. Can't wait to see Emmett walk! Wow! That's incredible, and what creative teachers he has. That's so neat! Keep the pictures (minus any of myself if you please) and news comin' - I love it!

Jason said...

Hey Sharlee. I love seeing all your boys and the fun and funny things that they do. It's fun to read your blog and see your pictures. I'm jealous you live close enough to your sisters and mom that you can get together and go to lunch. That would be so fun! I will get to see my family in a couple weeks so Im really excited! Anyways. Cute Family!!

Sharlee said...

Andrea, you know better. Of course my life sounds fun filled and exciting because those are the only things I put on my blog. I didn't write about Spencer's suspension from school yesterday and mine & Kendal's meeting with his principal thismorning, or about me eating half of that birthday cake yesterday, or about all the days this month that I didn't do anything but try to take a nap all day long and yell at my kids to leave me be. The only reason it sounds so fun and exciting is because I actually took a few pictures this month of some of the day-to-day stuff that happened and ALL of the out of the ordinary things that happened and globbed them into one big blog entry. So, there you have it. And...I know what you mean about running. It is not my choice of exercise either.

Rindee said...

Those are some cute pics you got of the cousin get together. You've got to post them on the myfamily.com site. I didn't get any pictures because my camera never made it out of the car. Good thing I brought it.

Nettie said...

I had no idea that Emmett could walk with a walker. That is so cool. Poor bloody feet. :( What good teachers he has! And funny Jonah with those "feet." It was so fun to talk to you on the phone today. Have a great weekend!