Monday, April 7, 2008

Boys vs. Girls

I grew up with three brothers.  I had a few boy"friends".  I married a boy (well, a man) and I have four boys of my own.  But I still don't have a clue about boys.  I am certain about one thing and that is that they are not girls.  

Spencer (7th grade) recently had his writing chosen by his teacher, along with a handful of other students from her class and others in the school to participate in "Writer's Fest" at USU.  They got to ride the bus to the University and spend the day with kids from other schools around the valley in workshops and they each had the opportunity to read their writing aloud to a panel of judges (it wasn't a contest--they were there to critique their work) and parents, etc.  Spencer was so nervous, which is really unlike him, but did a great job and I think he enjoyed that his writing brought about some chuckles from the audience & judges.  Kendal made it just in time to be there to hear him too.  Here is what he shared:

The Land of Doom

Once there was a land filled only with the most evil race on the face of the earth.  The huge city of Manlymansheaven had been overrun by the horrible race of Barbies.  Their Queen and Commander In Chief's name was Barbra. She was a horrible beast with long blonde hair, polished nails, and blue eyes.  To make this horrible image worse, half of her was covered in makeup!
Her legions of horrible warriors were terrible beasts that took after her image, only they were made of plastic and cotton.  Their allies, the Bratz, had flown across the planet from the cities of Makeup and Fashion to join the Barbies in their horrible attempt for world domination.
Their numbers combined were uncountable, and their wrath quickly spread across the world.
Girls everywhere started acting stupid as the Bratz' lust for fashion gripped them.  Girls everywhere also started acting stupid as the Barbies' lust for beauty took it's horrible hold on their souls, minds, and hearts.
Boys decided to take control of the situation.  They created alternative figures to wage war against the Barbies.  These figures were known as GI Joe.  The species were very efficient in combat, because they took after soldiers.  Genetically modified soldiers.
Soon, the time of combat arrived.  The GI Joes marched across the earth to destroy the horrible races in Manlymansheaven.  Immediately, the terrible wrath of Barbra met them.  Some of them started acting stupid like the girls affected by the powers of the Barbies.  One soldier said, "Why am I in this, like, horrible uniform?  I'm not wearing makeup and I think that my life is at an end!"
Another said, "Totally!"
I won't go into the details of the battle that soon followed, because many people do not like the aspect of hitting girls, let alone melting their plastic bodies.
Eventually, however, the war was over and the Barbies remained as stupid sissy figures without a life.

He actually added some stuff in the middle about how girls are extremely complicated and all that matters to a boy is food, fun and foolishness.  It was pretty interesting to see what his take is on girls...and Barbies.  Geesh!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

That is hilarious! I can't believe my little "spanks" is old enough to put those kind of thoughts into words. What a clever boy. It seems like only yesterday I was trit-trotting him on my knee and squishing his chubby cheeks...AWwww. Tell him I agree with him on the whole plastic girl commentary - he's wise beyond his years!

Nettie said...

THAT is an awesome perspective coming from a 12 year old boy. I can see why it was "chosen" for the writers fest. It was funny, and it also had some true meaning about the superficiality of many girls today. Good job Spencer! Very clever! I love the "Manlymansheaven" name too, that's awesome.

Anonymous said...

Looks like he's inherited that certain gift for writing that affects different pockets of the Orton clan! Way to go, Spencer! You just go on and stay away from girls for as long as you can. They're nothing but trouble.

Marianne said...

What a funny, smart and clever boy you have! It seems Spencer has inherited that gift for writing as well. Tell him good job for us.