Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lissencephaly


The other day I mentioned that Emmett had lissencephaly and Josh said, "I thought he had cerebral palsy".  It surprised me that even my own kids don't know what Emmett's diagnosis is. We tell people he has cerebral palsy because, well, he does, but it is because of his main condition.  So, I thought this blog might be a good way to educate our people about Emmett and help you get to know him better.  

Lissencephaly, which literally means smooth brain, is a rare brain formation disorder characterized by the lack of normal folds in the brain.  It is caused by defective neuronal migration (the process in which nerve cells move from their place of origin to their permanent location.)  Causes can include viral infections of the uterus or the fetus during the 1st trimester or pregnancy, or insufficient blood supply to the fetal brain early in pregnancy.  There are also a number of genetic causes of lissencephaly.  We don't know what caused Emmett's lissencephaly --but we do know there were some abnormal things about the pregnancy.  
Symptoms of the disorder may include unusual facial appearance, difficulty swallowing, failure to thrive,  sever psychomoter retardation, muscle spasms, and seizures.
We feel extremely blessed that Emmett is quite a healthy boy--he takes just one medication regularly (to keep him regular) and that's it.  He had a few seizures when he was two and three but has been seizure free, aside from his little "zoning out" episodes that we think are seizure activity, ever since.  He can't do anything physically for himself, doesn't roll, sit, or crawl.  He doesn't say words, though he does communicate using his voice and his eyes--we definitely know he has opinions and a sense of humor.  He eats pureed foods by mouth and he has a feeding tube to supplement his fluid intake and for medicine when he's sick.  He's had his share of sickness and surgeries but overall he is pretty healthy.  
We don't know how long he will be with us.  Life expectancy is different for every child.  Most end up dying from respiratory illness so it is always  important for us to keep him well.  He is such a sweet and pleasant boy.  His (and my) favorite thing is to cuddle and kiss.  I kiss him on his soft cheeks and then it's his turn to kiss me and we go back and forth.  I could do that all day long.  He is 8 years old and in the third grade and spends most of the school day in his life skills class but goes to a regular 3rd grade classroom for various activities throughout the day.  He is a very smart boy.  He has an excellent teacher who pushes him to succeed.  Currently he is learning to tell time and count money.  
Having Emmett Dean has changed the dynamics of our family dramatically and added mounds and mounds of stress and responsibilities on our shoulders.  But we wouldn't trade him for the world.  He is our Mickey-Dean, our Meeto-benini, our sweet Deano, String Dean, Deano-magoo.  Three words to describe his personality:  patient, silly, gentle.

7 comments:

Marianne said...

I'm so glad you have a blog! It's so much to keep in touch this way. Thank you for educating me about Emmett. I really didn't know anything about his condition. He's such a sweet boy. I always feel so happy inside when I'm around him and I see him smile. I think you are amazing too. What a great mom! Bytheway, I love your music. I've always loved the Ernie song from Sesame Street. After I heard it on your blog, I put it on mine- is that okay?

Cooking W said...

Hey it's been awhile since we have been in touch. I was thrilled to get your email. You are such a special person and I appreciate you sharing information about Emmetts condition. I am very glad I was able to get to know you. Thanks for remembering me. Keep up the good work Emmett looks wonderful and happy. The rest of your family is adorable as well. I for one am happy your sister talked you into the blog. Its really so great to see the pictures and everything. I have not seen you guys for a long time. So I will definitely be a regular visitor to your blog.
Take Care. Love Cheri
I have the same old email and I just got this new one so I can blog. So I do check both.

Nettie said...

I love your new blog! Thanks for sharing the info on Emmett too, we love him and miss you guys so much our hearts ache at times. Can't wait for the family reunion this summer. Good job on the blog, it's really nice looking! Love you guys!

Andrea said...

That is SUCH a cute picture of Emmett, with that huge smile he gets when you walk into the room. Good to know the details of his condition, too. My kids love to see pictures of their cousins (you know, when they walk in wondering where I am because I've been on the computer for an hour while they fend for themselves), so thanks for sharing!

Kimi Lou said...

Good stuff, Shar! When I saw the big photo on your fancy new blog, my first thought was "That is SO Emmett!" That just shows off his happy personality so well!
That was a perfect place to start your new "blogging existance" so people kind of understand your life (and, like me, can appreciate how truly amazing, remarkable, and perfectly wonderful you really are!
Cute photos of the rest of you too!
Can't wait to see/read more.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sharlee! You have done such a nice job with setting up your blog! It is perfect!! And what a sweet article you have written about Emmett. He really is such a blessing, in spite of the enormous responsibility. Everyone around him can sense the spirit inside him.

P.S. Thanks for the wheat grinder! Sorry I wasn't home when you came by - I hope you didn't go TOO far into the house. I had to go to the doctor first thing this morning after dropping the kids off at the bus stop, and the kitchen reflected the chaos of the morning...

Fale said...

hello, my name is Fale and I have a special nephew named Saunoa Leleisiuao who is 3years and we have all just been enlightened of this illness he has. He is the humbling element of my family and has an incredible mother called Nancy. We are saddened of this illness but are very blessed that we have Noa in our lives, Lissencephaly, we don't really know alot about it at this stage, but we are looking to find out more. Thank you for your blog, and I will pass it onto Nancy as this will give her some strength and encouragement. God Bless Emmett and you and your family, likewise for my precious nephew Saunoa too.