Saturday, August 23, 2008

End of Summer Fun

= August has been a bit of a blur.  I still can't believe my kids have started school and summer vacation is officially over.  We did manage to have some fun this month.  It started out with the Bates Reunion, immediately followed by a very rare and exciting visit from Kendal's sister Natalie and kids (clear from Wisconsin)!  Our kids were thrilled to get to know Kaiser, Hayden, and Oakleigh and were surprised to find that they had so much in common.  More favorite cousins.  Hooray!

= Emmett turned 9 on the 8th.  Sharalen brought lots of balloons (again) to make it a party.  First thing that morning thoughtful Josh suggested that we all line up in the hallway and on the count of three run out and yell "happy birthday!" to Emmett.  So we did and it startled the poor boy a little bit until he figured out what was going on.  Aunt Robin gave us a "Cars" Happy Birthday poster that we hung in the living room where Emmett could see it.  He knew it was his special day.

= Sharalen and I and our 9 boys took a little trip up to Bear Lake.  Other than my car smoking, her battery dying, and my eyes itching and burning so bad I could hardly open them (something in the air I guess) it was a very enjoyable trip.  The boys had a ball and this year Jonah was much easier to watch.

= Emmett's horse show and a trip to Shriners Hospital occupied the last week before school started.  I'll write about those in another post.

Issaka, Spencer, Kaiser, Hayden, Josh, and Jonah (Oakleigh wasn't in the mood for a picture)


3 comments:

Marianne said...

I'm glad you guys had some fun. Tell Emmett happy late birthday for us (I really should remember his birthday because it's the same as my sister's). I was just telling Joel today that I'd like to see if you and Kimi would like to another play date with the little kids now that school is in. It's been way too long since we've seen anyone in the Orton clan, and we miss you!

Nettie said...

What a fun time...I'm so jealous that Natalie got to go visit you. I wish we could have done the same. I'm sure Emmett's birthday was so special for him. I can't believe he's 9. Cute little Mermert. :) (she can say his name correctly now, by the way). I bet you're so glad to have school back in...I've been loving it. :)

Andrea said...

Yes, August went WAY too fast. I am still sure that it's the first week of August, and so I keep scheduling things, thinking I have all this time, only to look at the calendar and realize that it's almost September! Are you going to Mom's for Labor Day?